Television has come a long way since its invention in the 1900’s. People around the world have got to witness many historical events such as, the first man to walk on the moon, to even the inauguration of our first African American president. Although there were many great moments in history viewed on television, not many of the programs offered on stations are valuable.
There have been many arguments on whether or not television has been a good influence on our children. I feel there are many advantages and disadvantages to television. But sometimes, television may not always be a good source of information for children and their development. There is also no excuse to use television to babysit children. Children become affected from over exposure to television. I feel television is fine if viewed in moderation. There are many alternative activities we can do instead of sitting on our couch and watching pointless shows.
The usefulness of television has been a very controversial argument over the years. I feel there are a lot of both positive and negative properties about television. The positive side of television, there are many educational programs that help inform us. The news channel is an excellent example of such. News broadcasts can tell us about disasters that may have occurred, weather forecasts, and current events. Children may also watch shows that help with learning basics. Another pro is the integration of culture into our society.
However, with the pros come many negative effects. Spending too much time watching television, consumes the precious time that can be spent in productive and healthy activities like exercise or reading. It also uses up the time that you can spend interacting with your family and friend. Children today watch television for long periods. The dependence to television deprives them of their time to play. It would be better for children to involve themselves in physical activities during the evenings instead of sitting inactively.
Physical activities can help them live a healthier life. In addition, watching television is damaging to vision. Researchers claim that attention deficit disorders in children result from watching television for long periods. Television leads to developmental disorders, damaging the capability of the brain which is in control of language skills. Children who watch more television show difficulties in paying attention or concentrating. Television is one of the effective media used to promote all kinds of products. Unsupervised television watching in children can lead to early exposure to things they may not understand.
Television advertisements may influence the children to use wrong methods. Eye catching advertisements and film stories deeply impact young minds. They associate their life to television shows and films. Studies in psychology have shown that watching intense emotions on television leaves a long-lasting impact on one’s mind. Horror scenes, ghosts, unpleasant scenes that are shown on television have a negative effect on the minds of people watching them. Violence, killing, massacre and physical abuse that is shown on television impacts the thoughts and emotions of the viewers.
Research shows about 25% of parents use television to occupy their children; or in other words babysit them. Some 70% of the 1,000 mothers & fathers were polled as part of the national year of communication survey say they do not feel guilty about allowing their children to watch TV. And 42% think it is a great way for children to learn.
On the bbc.com website, a survey was taken and many parents say bring conversations on about what they’ve learned from watching the shows on television. In actuality only 15% of families start conversations based on tv. There is certainly no excuse to have your child sit in front of the television screen. Children can do a whole list of activities that are better worth the time such as reading or going outside and getting active.
Television has now become an important part of our daily lives and if you are a kid, it’s going to be very hard for you to stop watching it. TV has many advantages and many parents also use TV as a substitute baby sitter to keep their loved ones busy watching their favorite cartoons or TV shows. A common question arises in minds of many people and that is what positive and negative impact of TV has and how watching TV affects your child.
If we talk about the positive points there are many, such as:-
- There are a lot of educational shows which air on TV. It is a proven fact that children learn better using audio-video method instead of the traditional teaching via books.
- Many research studies have shown that children who watch TV are less violent and perform well in tests and studies as compared to the ones who don’t watch TV.
- Children who watch educational and informative TV shows develop their brain skills faster and learn things easily as compared to the ones who don’t watch TV.
- The kids who are going to start their school life get better grades, value their studies when they reach high school and become less aggressive.
- TV is a great way to remove tiredness and fatigue. We all know kids love cartoons and according to studies, cartoons have a soothing and painkilling effect on children. It helps in removing all the tiredness and all the stress your kid is having from daily school work.
We know that there are both pros and cons of everything. We already have listed the positive points of TV and now we will share some negative points of TV with you.
- Children who lie under 2 years of age can’t get any benefit from watching TV shows. If they sit in front of TV, their time is only getting wasted as this time can be used for the development of their brain, letting them interact with other kids and playing with them.
- You need to teach some of the most important skills of life to your kids during the childhood phase such as creativity, language and social skills. If your kid is busy watching TV, there won’t be any time to teach him/her all these skills.
- According to a research, kids who are exposed to a lot of TV noise are not able to concentrate in daily activities and studies.
- Kids who watch a lot of TV daily are not able to pay attention to teachers and the lessons they are taught because they get accustomed to the fast paying scenes they watch on TV.
- If you kid is going to school, there are chances that he/she might watch cartoons instead of doing their homework.
Watching TV is very important if you are doing it the right way. Make sure you are around your kid when he/she watches TV so that you can tell them what is right to watch and what isn’t. We would love to hear your views about the importance of TV. Please use the comments section to connect with us.
- impact of television on children essay
- positive and negative effects of television
- good and bad effects of television essay
- positive and negative effects of television essay
- essay on television for kids
- essay on television does not have any positive impact on the child
- Essay on Influence of tv on children
- television does not have any positive impact on the child
- essay on impact of television on students
- impact of television essay