How to Do a Compare and Contrast Essay Outline
Click to see example
The content of a compare and contrast essay is about two different, yet relatively related entities which are critically analyzed on the basis of their similarities or differences. The approach to a compare and contrast paper must therefore be objective in disentangling the subject and highlighting their common characteristics. The paper should be clear and comprehensive to avoid misconstrued elements that confuse the reader on the points outlined by the writer. The entities discussed in a compare and contrast paper must relate to having some common similarities while still distinguishable to show how they differ from one another.
This article offers guidelines whilst outlining tips on how to write a perfect compare and contrast essay and citing relevant examples where appropriate.
Tips concerning introduction writing
Here are some tips to consider when writing a compare and contrast paper introduction:
- The introduction of a compare and contrast paper must define the two or more principle subjects of the topic.
- The writer has to come up with a good and interesting hook for the paper to capture the attention of the reader and influence him/her to go through the whole.
- The introduction can also feature the definition of the principle terms to be compared and contrasted.
- To have a good introduction, ensure that it is short, clear and interesting without giving much detail.
- Include a thesis statement in the latter parts of the introduction paragraph to show the purpose and significance of the paper to the reader.
Tips on thesis writing
Thesis writing on a compare and contrast essay is largely founded on the main reason of the work.
- Place the thesis as the last sentence of the introductory paragraph.
- Use conditioned word to write the thesis statement such as; although, whereas, while, etc.
- Ensure you aptly show each of the discussable entities addressed in the paper.
- Narrow the focus of the paper to avoid overly broad content which may not be necessary.
- Include the specific purpose of the paper in the thesis statement.
Guidelines on body paragraphs
To write a great paper, keep in mind that in a compare and contrast essay writing, the author must show the distinctive characteristic of the subject entities.
- Each paragraph must carry its point.
- Write either the similarities or differences first and the other later.
- For the differences, each paragraph should show how the two different entities differ before proceeding to the next paragraph.
- Write short paragraphs that are clear, precise and specific to avoid ambiguity.
- Ensure you have an outline that makes you to adhere to the relevant and important details for your essay.
Tips on writing the outline
The importance of an outline for a compare and contrast paper is indispensable. The outline keeps the writer focused on the relevant elements of the subject topic. Orderliness and logical flow of ideas are of paramount importance in writing compare and contrast essay outlining to avoid ambiguity and confusion when writing the final draft.. Here are some of the tips for compare and contrast essay outline writing.
- Put down the similarities and differences of the entities in shorthand
- The compare and contrast paper outline should at least capture all the main points to be discussed
- Number your points
- Write the strongest points first
- Insert subtopics from topics followed by a short description
Tips on conclusion writing
The conclusion is a powerful part of the entire paper that brings together the two related yet antagonizing entities. Here are some tips for writing a perfect conclusion for a comparison and contrasting paper.
- Write a general summary of the points in the body paragraphs
- Reassert the thesis statement
- Base your conclusion on data/evidence presented above and not personal opinions
- The summary should not convey the content in the same words used in the body, but emphatically state the point in a new and convincing way
- Keep the conclusion short, concise and objective
The following is a perfect example of how a compare and contrast paper outline is written. The example of a compare and contrast paper outline below shows the format and general appearance of compare and contrast papers.
Dogs Vs Cats
Introduction to the broad topic – Cats and Dogs are some of the animals largely domesticated by man.
Thesis statement –in this paper, the differences and similarities of dogs and cats are discussed in details featuring the important details.
- Both are domestic animals
- They are both carnivorous
- Both are pets
- Dogs are bigger than cats
- Fully grown cats have 30 teeth while dogs have 42
- Dogs are more easily trainable than cats
Summary of main points – some of the differences discussed above include about their dental formula, trainability, and physical attributes. Their most pronounced attributes include their carnivorous nature and considered to be pets.
“Samsung is a better mobile phone than iPhone because I prefer Samsung.”
That does not sound persuasive or informative, do it?
“Samsung is a better solution than iPhone because iOS devices have limited access to various apps, games, and other entertaining content, and they are more expensive for no good reason.”
This statement sounds better. It is just one out of many possible compare and contrast essay topics. If you wish to learn how to write a compare and contrast essay to improve your GPA or handle another homework assignment, the text below would be helpful.
GET A CUSTOM SOLUTION FROM US
Those students who are looking for more than information on how to write a 5 paragraph compare and contrast paper – feel free to find a helping hand in the face of online writing service.
How to Write Compare and Contrast Essay: Defining This Type of Paper
This type of assignment is an academic paper, which depicts 2 or more similar yet different things by focusing on what they have in common and what makes them different. The purpose is to make a reader see the way chosen objects are interconnected.
It makes sense a person should start by picking a couple of good subjects to differentiate and draw parallels.
Compare and Contrast Essay Outline: 2 Different Approaches
A compare and contrast essay outline is far more complicated than the rest of the academic paper outline templates. It depends on which strategy the author chooses to present the chosen objects. In case the best option to introduce both topics is through point-by-point comparison, obey this structure:
- Introductory paragraph
- Presentation of overall idea
- Particular issue to discuss
Fields the author is going to explore
Issue 1 - Aspect 1
Issue 2 - Aspect 1
Issue 1 - Aspect 2
Issue 2 - Aspect 2
Issue 1 - Aspect 3
Issue 2 - Aspect 3
- Review of the basic ideas
- Assessment and/or potential developments (forecasts)
In case of subject-by-subject comparison, simply focus on the topic 1 at the beginning (list issues & aspects) and then move to the second topic. Conclude on their differences and similarities in the closing paragraph.
GET IT DONE NOW
Compare and Contrast Essay Introduction
An introduction reveals the main point and shares the primary data about the selected elements with the reader. Add a thesis statement. The opening paragraph must contain a brief explanation of the selected ideas to be analyzed (stress why the offered text might be valuable for the reader). Inspire the person to read the paper from cover to cover by initiating a powerful hook sentence.
Compare and Contrast Essay Conclusion
Once a student is done with the body paragraphs, he/she should start working on the closing part of the paper, which often leaves the last impression. It means a writer should try hard to leave positive impressions. In a conclusion, provide a summary of the introduced evidence, restate the thesis statement by rewording it (do not copy-paste a thesis sentence from the introduction).
How to Write a 5 Paragraph Compare and Contrast Essay: Rundown
Based on everything said before, keep in mind these outtakes when working on the discussed type of academic paper:
- Apply some organizational instruments like a Venn diagram or Mind Map to arrange the idea obtained via intensive brainstorming & research.
- Keep away from the vague thesis statement.
- Narrow a broad idea to a couple of main points, leaving some space for the in-depth evaluation.
- Edit the final draft before submitting it to the instructor; a professional team of online editors will proofread and fix the mistakes for cheap!
20 Interesting & Creative Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
To make it easier, our experts have divided some of the best topics into 4 different categories. Have a look at the offered ideas. Those are the possible examples, so try to come up with a unique, exciting idea to impress the teacher!
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for College Students
- Economic Theory of Karl Marx with Contemporary Capitalistic Movement
- Constitution of the United States verus the Constitution of the United Kingdom
- Political Regimes in the United States Today & a Century Ago
- Working as a Marketing Specialist and Being a Human Resources Manager: Duties They Have in Common and Things That Make People of These Professions Different
- Renaissance & Baroque Art: Specific Features That Make These Genres Similar Yet Different at the same Time (include professional terminology to stress your in-depth knowledge of the problem)
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for High School
- Private Schools & Public Schools: Differences Plus Similarities
- Should People Live in Official Marriage or Civil Union?
- The Government of the US versus the Government of Student’s School
- Early specimen & Christopher Columbus: Differences & Similarities
- Football Clubs from Europe or Football Clubs from the United States
Compare and Contrast Topics for Middle School
- Celebrating Christmas in the United States is Better Than in Europe
- Role Models for Teens & Role Models for Grown-Ups
- Cars versus Trains: A More Comfortable Transport to Ride Long Distances
- Fiction and Non-Fiction Literature: Which Is a More Fun to Read?
- What Are the Benefits of Remote Education over Traditional Learning?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 6th Grade
- Marvel’s Spiderman or Iron Man
- Super Mario Land versus Sonic for PlayStation 2
- Nintendo or Xbox: Why One Replaced Another over Time
- Playing Games Outside or Staying at Home with TV
- Winter Sports against Summer Sports: Pros & Cons of Each Type
Compare and Contrast Essay Example
That is how to deal with it! Another thing that may help a school/college student to develop a good homework assignment comparing several objects is a good example. Discover a plenty of free paper examples, helpful writing tools, ideas, and cheap custom writing services without leaving your home!